Saturday, July 09, 2005

A Long List...

"Be amazed by how your brain thinks and how your heart feels.."

Dear Mummy,

It has been a while since I drop by...Do you miss me? Will you forget me? Will I be the only one missing you?

Guess there will not be any replies to my questions because you are not around anymore. A fact which up till today I still try to deny sometimes.I never knew missing someone was so hard until now. But I have learnt to move on with the yearning for your presence.

It has been a week and so much has since happened. Let me just update you a little.. Work as a customer service officer has officially started and for five days this week, I talk to the computer. Emails, something which technology has bestowed on us have become my source of income. I replied to hundreds of them everyday and they are never-ending. Thus, leading to my OT.
Luckily, it is just a temporary assignment, lest I think I will either go blind one day or be stricken with serious back problem.

Personally, I could not imagine myself doing a office job for the next 30 or 40 years. Imagine having to face the computer everyday for 10 to 12 hours, I wonder how my health can take it to such radiation. I wonder what I should do...
And came an abundance of ideas..

1) I would become a photo-journalist. I would like to go around the world and take down the most beautiful sights and people. I want to express myself through the lens.

But would that be realistic? Am I capable enough to do that? How about my family if I keep travelling around? Can I adapt to new environments and new people? Hence, I have decided that photography and travel can be my interests and not my career. Having striked off this possibility, I carried on to dream about my future...

2) How about being working as a temp for a long-term basis? I mean, being a permanent temp which in short, means taking up some temporary assignments for a long long time...so that I can get to enjoy the flexiblity of such arrangements. I can work for a while, save some money and then go travelling. And when I am back, I shall do some more temp work and the cycle goes on. Such variability may just suit my personality of getting bored easily and wanting to try new things.

But would the money I earn sustain my life? Would I be able to support my family with that meagre amount of income? Would I be able to earn enough to support my interests such as photography, pets and travelling? Hence, I think this may well not be very realistic...

3) How about working from home? Start a dot.com business? But then, I have problems in thinking of what kind of business I can do online, having lack the expertise and contacts. And so that does not sound so appealing anymore.

4) I would like to do something meaningful. How about doing social work? Conselling? That would be interesting. Meeting new people, new stories everyday.

But I am afraid, I would not do a good job. Perhaps I would need to go for some formal training first. Having lack the $$ for the time being, I think it is better I find a better paying job first, before I embark on this journey of exploring human minds.

5) In the end, I came up with a great idea. Why don't I simply just combine all my ideas into one. Put all my favourite things into one idea? I shall be a social entrepreneur. I shall open a cafe, called Fav Cafe (which in a way implies all my favourite things). In this cafe, I shall make it as comfortable as possible with a nostalgic feel.

A corner will be dedicated to mummy and it will be named Mummy's corner with mummy favourite things which are bags,shoes and clothes. You can say it s sort of a retail corner.I will decorate this corner with mummy's photos and of course our family portraits etc. It is a place when I can go when I miss mummy.

For the rest of the cafe, I shall decorate them with my photos, photos which I will be taking..of people and sights. Flowers would be a must in my cafe and customers can buy the flowers if they like. Pets will be allowed into my cafe and there will be food provided for them. There will be a notice board at one corner of the cafe whereby events and activities will be publicised on the board. Events will include charitable events, sport events, travel programmes and so forth. In short, all my favourite activities will be there.

The seats will be those wooden kind whereby they can swing to and fro. Friends from all over the place can come and have their gatherings here.It will be a place to connect all and allow all to connect with new people. Once in a while, I will invite live bands to play in my cafe. The food served will be pastries,cakes,and normal beverages. And there will be a small reading corner too, for those who likes to read.

Most importantly, part of my profits will go to a charitable organisation of my choice and hence the word-social entreprenuer.I contribute back to the society which gave me so much.

This seems like the best idea I had, though it s a bit too complicated and perhaps not of a good business sense as there is no specific theme to attract the crowd. It is a wonderful dream, whether it can be realized or not.

But of course, the reality sets in too. Will I be able to have the $$ to open such a cafe? Will this cafe to able to survive? Where do I get the suppliers? etc....

Although realities often get in the ways of dreams, I believe it is the process of dreaming that can bring us the most joy. At least, you have a dream to work towards to, at least you can see something in the future and not just a normal office job.

Dear friends, dare to dream..dare to make your dream come true. At least take a step forward and think.

Dreaming and dreaming,
Agnes

P.S: " I am amazed by how my brain works.You can too."

5 comments:

Still Water said...

Sometimes, in life, as one of my teacher favourite saying: "Do first, think later"

agneSuan said...

Do first, think later.That is called impulsive.

Anyway the conclusion is :

Do first, think later applies to things that are within your means.

Think first, do later applies to things that are not within your control at the moment but however, you could make it happen by planning for it.

Still Water said...

Actually, I think it's the opposite.

Think first, do later applies to things within your means, as you are able to plan. That's why you think before you do.

Do first, think later, applies to things that are not within your control. Since things are so uncertain, we tend to be quite fearful of it. That's why we need to do first, think later to overcome this fear.

agneSuan said...

But then if things are already within your means, then why think so much? Might as well, do first then think later.

If you keep thinking about things that are within your means, they may just end up being things that are not within your control anymore. By that time, even if you want to do, you cant too.


Things that are not within control means that you are not able to do it now. Thus, you have to think first, think about how to make it within your means before you do it.

The ball is in your court now. Defend your opinion if you think what I say don't make sense to you.
^__^

Still Water said...

Let me illustrate what I mean:

Imagine this scenerio,
Imagine you as a HR person has to send to send someone overseas to start a new branch. So what are the things within your control? The choice of candiates are within your control. So you think about their character, are they able to do the job. So you THINK through the candidates before SENDING the selected person over.

Now what are the things that are not within your control? Say what if there's a terriost attack? What if there's an uprising? What if there's natural disaster? All these are not within our control. We plan for when these things will happen. So we DO FIRST (send the person over) and THINK LATER (deal with the situation as it comes)

*Quote*
If you keep thinking about things that are within your means, they may just end up being things that are not within your control anymore. By that time, even if you want to do, you cant too.

So that's why when you reach this stage, sometimes have to DO FIRST THINK LATER to get things moving.

*Quote*
Things that are not within control means that you are not able to do it now. Thus, you have to think first, think about how to make it within your means before you do it.

If you are able to make it within your means before you do it, then it will fall under the 'things within your control' category.