Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Guest Speaker

A very good evening to all of you.

It is with my utmost pleasure to welcome you guys to the talk today.

We are very honoured to have with us here today Miss Tan from i-GAP, which means inter-generational affinity project. Or in short, I-Bridge-the Gap who will share with us her experiences volunteering with the elderly.

To elaborate a little further, i-GAP is made up of a group of committed volunteers who aims to bridge the gap between the elderly and youth by organising various activities for the elderly. For example, outings, exercises and also painting and cleaning for the elderly homes.

Miss Tan has been with this group for a period of 2 years whereby she started out as a volunteer and now a committee planning team member.

Motivated by her great interest in gerontology and disability, she is currently pursuing a graduate diploma in social work in NUS. Being a compassionate and purpose driven person, she hopes to contribute more and better to the area of gerontology.

Personally from what I know about her, she is a person who is open to suggestions, someone who is very keen to learn, someone who is more than willing to help anyone to her best abilities. A very mild tempered and patient person, you can be sure she is the best person to talk to when you are feeling upset. She will listen to whatever you have to say.

But for now, let us listen to what she has to say.

A round of an applause for Miss Tan.

__________________________________________________________________

Any yes guys, the Miss Tan is none other than me,myself and I. Miss Agnes Tan Meijing

My lecturer did this exercise in class on Monday and asked all of us to introduce ourselves from a third party point of view. You have to sell yourself like how you would sell a guest speaker to your audience. Say all the good points about the person so that the audience will feel that they have not wasted their time to come for the talk.

I had trouble with it. Instead of saying my good points, I just talked about the activities I have joined and my past history as in where I graduated from and where I worked at previously...etc etc.

She also said something about knowing your strengths so that you can build on them. It is only by knowing your strengths before you can improve on your weaknesses as well. And that all these lie in self responsibility on whether you want to improve or not. We all have a choice, it s just a matter of whether we want to live with what we have or change it. If it is the former choice, then dun complain and live with it. If it is the latter, then make the effort to change it. Nobody can change it except you. We have the power to control our own lifes, and not leave it all up to fate.

As usual practice, let me end off with a quote :

"Change those things which you can and accept those you cant. "

Friends out there, do me a favour.. Drop me a few comments on my strengths will ya? so that I can know myself better. Try asking your other friends about your strengths too and you will realize you are actually not such a bad person afterall =)

Cheers,
Agnes

1 comment:

Still Water said...

Welcome back!

It's my priviledge to start off your request.

Strength:
1) A very good temper. In fact I'll say she has no temper at all. Which means that she is...

2) Very easy to get along with. You don't have to be on your guard when you are with her. You don't need to be too careful with what you say and what you do. You can be very relax around her. Perhaps its because she can....

3) Put herself in other people shoes. I think in her world, it's 1% "I' and 99% "You". Often or not, her thoughts will be "What will he/she feels if I do this?", "Will my actions casue inconvience to others?" This might explain why she is so

4)Reflective. The ability to do reflection on oneself and to admit that one need to improve in certain area is indeed valuable. How many people can readily say, "Yar, I suck in this area, but don't worry, I'll improve on it" She can!

5) And of course, her greatest strength is her compassion and kindness. She readily give love to others, so much so that she often forget to leave some for herself.

6) Last, but not least, her strength also lies in having a loyal, reliable and steadfast bestest friend. So that even if she is to fall one day, she can be rest assured that her bestest friend will be there to support her.