Saturday, September 01, 2007

Don't ask why. Just do it!

"Don't ask why. Just do it!" by Dr Timothy Sim

Dear Mummy,

Belated Happy Birthday! Seems like I am always late in wishing you happy birthday..haha..but well it s always better to be late than never

My wish for you is that you have already ended your suffering and have reached nirvana where peace may be with you at all times. I know you already have.

Just to share a little bit of what my tutor, Dr Timothy Sim has shared with me and class the other day.


Here goes the little thought provoking story:

Dr Sim has a friend in university who somehow injured himself one day. Being a very concerned friend, Dr Sim quickly ran over to his friend's side. And the first question was : Why did you injure yourself? How did it happen? Why like this? while blood dripped profusely down from his friend's hand.

The immediate reaction from his friend was a furious roar: " Can you please stop asking why? And do sth to my hand?"

Pushing his limits, Dr Sim rebutted and asked " Why are you so furious??"

And without further elaborating, you should know what s the next reaction coming from his friend.

Haha, a funny little inspiring story which jolted me to my senses somehow. We people tend to ask too much whys, and dont do anything about the whys. Linking back to how we were brought up, Dr Sim attributed his behaviour to his upbringing and similarly to quite a number of people.

When a child falls, what the mother would usually do and say would be " Why did you fall down?? Stoopid Stoopid!" and hits the child instead of asking " Are you alright?"

This brings us to the question of whether the reason of happening is that important since that it has already happened, why don't we just do sth about it first before thinking of why.

He furthers talked about introspection and people who are in depression. For they keep introspect themselves and keep asking why which is the main reason for their depression. They lack the courage to change the things they can and the wisdom to accept those things they cant and hence they keep asking themselves why they cant do this, why are they like this etc.

Coincidentally on the day which Dr Sim shared this ancedote, I wrote a list of whys. Why cant I let go? Why am I like this...etc? It quickly brought to my mind that I may be suffering from depression haha..and that quickly reminded me not to ask too much whys and that my unhappiness all these while is related to my "whys" problem.

And so my friend, my new quote in life is " Don't ask why. Just do it"

Whenever you are feeling puzzled over sth, try not to ask too many whys, and think of ways to solve the doubt or problem. Think it will help much better which I am doing right now.

Making an effort to change my thinking and lifestyle. Towards my goal.

Love,
Agnes

1 comment:

d|nKo said...

I like.
I like how you put such a critical yet so-often overlooked perspective into words that's easily understood.
I like how your entry helped me to persuade myself that my way of approaching problems is not so bad after all.
Coolz banana~
Thanks! -.-