Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Little Things in Life

"When was the last time you stop and look at the sky, smell the flowers, listen to the rain, taste the water and feel the wind?"

Dear Friends,

Life can be very simple, if only you see it that way. Blessed are we not, to be alive. You may think that being able to walk is what you are entitled to. But have you ever imagined what would happen if this so called entitlement is taken away from you one day?

I have never thought much about this until the day mummy was bedridden. A wise man once said, " Once you are in bed, you are dead." How true it is, for you lose almost all the abilities to do things by yourself once you are trapped in the bed. Your life will be restricted to only this bed unless people bring you around in the wheelchair.

I can vividly remember that mummy said that if she could not walk, she would rather die. I bet you can imagine how much she dreaded relying on other people.Having being able to take care of herself for almost 50 decades, everything was taken away from her just like that. From a toddler to an adult, she has once again reverted back to a child, needing the care of other people. Isn't life amazing? It is simply just a cycle that we could not escape.

I wish mummy was less depressed and could have better accept the conditions things were then. Sometimes, we just could not fight fate. So if we can't change what was besotted to us, why not just relish in the simplicity of events? Rather than focusing on what was taken away from us, why not concentrate on the things that we still have?

Today, I went for a night trek in aid of a charity event and simply was really grateful to be able to walk, breathe in the night air, see the stars and feel the wind. The sunset was beautiful but it was short. I knew I could not keep it there foreve and thus just enjoyed its presence at that moment.


Though mummy was taken away from me, I am thankful that daddy is still around.Though mummy could not longer talk to me, I am thankful that I still have my friends. Though mummy can never be replaced, new relationships of similar intensity can be built and I am thankful for all these...

My friends, nothing is ever an entitlement and all are gifts to us. Never think that nothing will be taken away from you because the gifts are only our temporary possessions. Treasure them while you still have them and share these gifts with those who may not have them for happiness can only be multiplied through giving.

So, shall we take a moment of silence, stop what we are doing now and look at what we have been given. You may just realize you are the most fortunate person around with all the little things in life.

Hugs,
Agnes

3 comments:

Still Water said...

I really love this entry. This is so well written! Can't believed this is from a 23 yrs old young lady. 读了感触深刻...

agneSuan said...

Ahem, thank you sir for your praise but I am not a 23 yr old young lady.. I am a 22 yr old mature lady.. haha..

Still Water said...

Haha... Oops! Take it as i'm counting your chinese age, which is add one more year haha....