Friday, June 10, 2005

Procrastination

"If you are always behind, you never really get anywhere."
Murray Martin (Age: 75)
@What 's Worth Knowing by Wendy Lustbader


Let me just share with you the story behind this quote so that you might understand better the meaning behind this quote.

So here it goes.. Let's hear what Murray has to say:

"You can spend your whole life putting things off. I didn't face up to this until I was an old man.Can you imagine? I waited till I was in my seventies.At work, I was famous for getting to meetings at least a half hour late and turning in my paperwork after it had started turning yellow.The bosses put up with me, but I never get promoted.

Work is work, whether you get it done now, next week, or next month.The job still has to be done, so you might as well do it now. If you're smart, you'll get it done early and it will be off your back that much sooner.

You know what cured me?Last year,my best friend was in hospital.Did I go visit him? No, I put it off.Then he died. Before I got there, he was gone. That was it. I had enough with procrastination.Now whenever I go somewhere, I get there early. I take the bus before the last bus. I never wait until the last minute with anything. I take care of business, one, two, three. I can hardly believe this is me. I would have gone far in life if I had figured this out sooner."



Dear Friends,

This is a really good book whereby the wiser people share their life experiences.And Murray's story is just one of them. So my dear friends, all I can say is try not to procrastinate because you might not have a chance like Murray to save himself from procrastination before it s really too late.

Personally, there s so many things that I wanna do but there s simply too little time for me to accomplish all of them.I am caught in the dilemma of squeezing everything all at once and taking things slowly. Both have its pros and cons and my mind is just too overwhelmed with stuff that I wanna do before it s too late.I dun wan to regret it only when I am old. But somehow, when you squeeze so many things together, you will tend to lose your focus and priorities.

I guess we all have the same amount of time.It s just a matter of how we balance everything; family, job,relationships and interest etc. Sometimes maybe procrastination might not be a bad thing afterall and you don't have to push yourself that hard. Gauge your own abilities and do what you can.Planning is the way to go as "once you fail to plan,you plan to fail". Keep everything in track and once in a while let a surprise light up your life.

Wishing you all the best in life,
Agnes

P.S : I know I can get a bit long-winded and my blog is kinda of boring. If you have read till this part, I am really grateful.For the benefit of my readers, I promise to make my blog a more exciting site with photos, links and tips.Let's just hope this will not become a procrastination, hopefully having learnt the lesson from Murray.


2 comments:

Gene said...

no ger...your blog is not boring...u write well...i love reading ur blog coz it's very heartfelt and real...

no need for photos and pictures...ur words are decorative enough...=)

ur blog only allow bloggers. I had to start a new blog that's going to be idle to write comments for you ar...=)

Still Water said...

Your blog is not boring. It's your blog after all, so write what you want to write, do what you want to do. Your blog has content, that's all it matters. And the readers of your blog will truly appreciate it.

Life is all about balancing. Everyday, we are always balancing stuff. We should not overwhelm ourselves with too many things,such that we can't truly appreciate the things that we are doing. Neither can we be too slack, such that we are wasting our precious time. The line between these 2 is thin. The trick is to learn how to balance it, which is no easy feat...