Thursday, June 30, 2005

Money can't buy everything

" Money is just a tool, an object. Never be too obessed with an item."

Dear Mummy,

I have collected my transcript and looking at the invitation cards, how I wish you could attend too. I have not been sleeping well these few days, coz I kept thinking of you. I look around and I think of you. The thoughts get worse when I have nothing to do.

Anyway I felt that I have really changed. I am no longer the lazy me you knew. I hate to be idle in actual fact and I like to keep myself occupied. But it has recently took a toll on me and I am really tired, physically.

Today, I just went to volunteer for SPCA, to help them raise funds for the animals through doing manicure for the public. There was a booth at the place and I bought quite a few stuff. And that was when I discovered I am really an impulsive buyer but only if I really like the stuff. If the money is for a worthy cause, I do not mind forking out more. At that point in time, my friends were then discussing about the meaning of money which is the topic of the day for my blog as you can see.

Money as said by my friend is a tool. It will remain as only pieces of paper if we keep them. Its main purpose is for us to buy the things we like,need and want.Its main purpose is to let us derive happiness from the things we buy. Money as stated by another friend sometime ago, is always a problem and never enough.This clearly make an impact on me as I realize we do not actually need to worry ourselves too much over money sometimes and we should definitely not be obsessed over it.

For me, I used to keep worrying that money will run out one day and I tend not to buy many things, or maybe as compared to now. For me now, after so much has happened, a new perspective has emerged. I believed that as long as you know your financial limit and do not overspend, it is fine to buy all the things you like. Just earn it back after that!! Personally, I am not really into brands and cannot understand why people could spend a few thousands on a bag. I would rather donate more to charity, to people who needs the money more.

We are living in a society that emphasize too much on image and status. The culture has made us into what we are today. I have to admit, I am a victim of this as well but I try to create a culture of my own which is compassion.
(I sound like Morrie. If you have read Tuesdays with Morrie, you will know what I am talking about). I do what I can for those who need help for that is really true happiness. It is not the money but the compassion that you show to those who need it that makes you really happy.

Mummy, I hope to become a more regular volunteer at SPCA and perhaps one day bring back Momo and Bobo home. These are the names for my future pets. Let's wait till I am more finanically independent. Pets are a life long commitment and I want to be sure that I can take care of them before I bring them home.Hopefully they will be my companions when I am lonely.

An interesting thought came over me today when I saw strings of people stroking a puppy golden retriever at the event place. I am one of them and suddenly a thought came by me. Do the animals like to be touched and very frequently as well? I imagined myself being the golden retriever and my answer to the question is no. Haha. But I guess it did not really hate people stroking her, because apparently she did not resist. Sometimes, I really do wonder whether animals have their own thinking and feelings, just like some of the shows.
Anyway same for the animals, do not think that material goods will make them complete. I think they need the same thing as all human beings, and that is compassion.

Enjoying every moment in life,
Agnes

"Money can't buy everything and definitely not love."

4 comments:

Dopey said...

er agnes ah, i think u mentioned something about the lack of a support grp in sg for pple who discuss death openly? anyway i wrote to my tutor (who's in medical oncology) and he's replied with an offer from the MSW pple for a similar support group... if you're interested, i'll email you the details? i think there might be an email/contact no. to call for more info... let me know k?

PS: i hope you won't mind me for 'meddling'... if u want anymore info, just let me know.

Still Water said...

I wonder if you remember this article in the book "What's Worth Knowing". It says that you can't buy lasting happiness. For example, you like this shoe very much and you save and save and one day, you managed to save enough to buy that shoe. Though you are very happy that you finally bought this shoe you like, but after a few days, this happiness just dies off and this shoe just becomes another shoe.

So do not be too obesses with buying things that you like. Cause it's only giving you temporary happiness only.

Why do people save and scrimp? True, you can't bring the money to your coffin. So why not go pamper yourself and enjoy life?

I believe that the money that I save will be able to put to much better use, be it donations, paying of medical bill etc.... To me, the potential use of this money is more important than the temporary sastifaction that I get from buying things. But that doesn't means I'm a saint. I do have my wants and I do give in to my wants at times. But as far as possible, I try to keep it to the minmimum. So whenever I want to buy something, I will ask myself: Do I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to buy this?

agneSuan said...

Yep, I remembered.First of all, same as you, I am not a saint.
Though I know a lot of things are only temporary, I still pursue them. Buying things make me happy. Sometimes, do not be too preoccupied with the future. Sure, it is good that we save up for crises. But we must make sure we spend too. Guess it s all about balancing.

For me, I intend to split up my salary into portions in the future when I get a permanent job. One portion will go to charity and mainly to the cancer patients.One portion will go to my family members. One portion will go into savings and the remaining will be spent, be it on myself or others. For this portion, I will make sure that I spend them, to pamper myself and those around me.

Still Water said...

True, as long as you have excess money, after all the important stuff has been taken care of, it's ok to spend to pamper yourself. Too bad, i'm still not at this stage yet.